SEAHAWK BASEBALL RESULTS
St. Joseph's (ME) 5, Salve Regina 4
Chain of Lakes Stadium - Winter Haven, Fla.
Friday, March 10, 2017
WINTER HAVEN, Fla. - Senior Brett Barbati (Melrose, Mass.) drove in the go-ahead runs with a two-out single in the third inning, and added a solo home run in the sixth inning, as Saint Joseph's College of Maine defeated Salve Regina University, 5-4, in non-league baseball action at the RussMatt Invitational at Chain of Lakes Stadium.
The Seahawks drop their season opener while the Monks improve to 6-1 in 2017.
Series and Streaks
St. Joseph's wins for the first time in the series after Salve Regina had won the first three meetings. The Seahawks swept a doubleheader in Dunedin, Fla., on March 12, 2004, by scores of 2-1 and 3-0. Three years ago in the home opener for Salve Regina, then freshman Frank Lemiuex (Marshfield, Mass.) earned his first collegiate victory with a 3-2 decision over the visiting Monks. Salve Regina had only one basehit in the game.
Three Stars of the Game
- Saint Joseph's senior Brett Barbati (Melrose, Mass.) drove in three runs on two hits including a solo home run.
- Salve Regina freshman Dylan Ketch (Clinton, Conn.) drove in two runs on two hits and a sacrifice fly.
- Salve Regina junior Jon Lynch (Cumberland, R.I.) worked three innings of hitless ball on the mound, not allowing a run to the Monks in the last three frames.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina outhit Saint Joseph's (11 to 7) but the Seahawks also left 11 runners on base, including stranding the bases loaded in the fourth inning after just one out.
Senior Taylor Black (Cardiff By The Sea, Calif.) delivered a two-run double to right field to put Saint Joseph's on the board in a four-run third inning.
- Seahawk starting pitcher Cory Poplawski (Syracuse, N.Y.) struck out seven Monks in six innings.
- Salve Regina sophomore Zack Smith had two hits including a run-scoring triple in the seventh inning, and came around to score on Ketch's sac fly.
- Junior Aaron Hall (Haverhill, Mass.) pitched four scoreless frames (2-5) and earned the victory in relief.
- Junior Josh Partridge (Deerfield, N.H.) allowed the sac fly to Ketch (the first batter he faced), but recorded nine outs while facing 11 batters for the save.
Salve Regina (0-1) - Sat., March 11 versus Wm. Paterson, 2:30 p.m. (Auburndale, Fla.)
Saint Joseph's (6-1) - Sat., March 11 versus Ill. Wesleyan, 9 a.m. (Winter Haven, Fla.)