SEAHAWK BASEBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 6, Wesleyan 4
Newport, R.I. - Reynolds Field
Tuesday, April 11, 2017
NEWPORT, R.I. - After trailing 3-0 in the top of the third the #21 ranked Salve Regina University baseball team scored five unanswered runs to take control and eventually defeat Wesleyan University 6-4 in non-conference action Tuesday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
This was the second meeting between Salve Regina and Wesleyan all-time. The series record is now even 1-1.
Three Stars of the Day
- Salve Regina sophomore Brody Santilli (Lincoln, R.I.) - went 3-for-4 on the day, scored two runs, drove in a run, and stole three bases.
- Wesleyan junior Matt Jeye (Holliston, Mass.) - went 2-for-4 with three RBI and a run scored.
- Salve Regina junior Jonathan Lynch (Cumberland, R.I.) - pitched an inning and two-thirds, striking out four without allowing a run.
Key Stat of the Day
The Seahawks stole six bases.
After giving up three runs in the top of the third the Seahawks responded in the bottom of the frame to close within one run. A Santilli double, and subsequent steal after a Hunter Sleeper (Arlington, Mass.) popup brought John Militano (Miller Place, N.Y.) to the plate with one out and a runner on third. Militano had a grounder go to third, forcing Santilli to retreat back to the bag, but the throw to first was off the mark allowing Militano to reach, and eventually scamper all the way to third while Santilli came home for the Seahawks first run. Dylan Ketch (Clinton, Conn.) grounded out the next at-bat to score Militano.
In the bottom of the fourth Colton Eremian (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Stephen Cirella (Jamestown, R.I.) hit back-to-back triples to even the score 3-3. Santilli drove in Cirella with a single, stole second, then scored on a single from Militano to give the Seahawks a 5-3 edge.
- The Cardinals would have a chance in the top of the ninth with runners at second and third with two outs, but Frank Lemieux (Marshfield, Mass.) would get Andrew Keith (Millersville, Md.) to fly out to center to end the suspense.
- Nick Miceli (West Hartford, Conn.) pitched six and a third innings giving up six runs on eight hits with four strikeouts in the loss to fall to 2-1 on the season. Miceli also batted in the lineup going hitless in three at-bats, but did steal a base after drawing a walk.
- Matt Wood (Walpole, Mass.) got the win for the Seahawks, pitching three innings while allowing one run on three hits with three strikeouts.
- Will Crowther (East Sandwich, Mass.) took the no decision in the start for the Seahawks, pitching four innings, allowing three runs on three hits with three walks and three strikeouts.
Salve Regina (18-4, 8-0 CCC) – Wednesday, April 12 vs Mitchell, 3:30 p.m.
Wesleyan (13-6, 4-1 NESCAC) – Wednesday, April 12 at Coast Guard, 4 p.m.