SEAHAWK BASEBALL RESULTS
 Salve Regina 7, Gordon 0
 Salve Regina 8, Gordon 2
Newport, R.I. - Reynolds Field
Sunday, March 24, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Aided by strong starting pitching and early hitting the Salve Regina University baseball team defeated Gordon College in a pair of Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) games Sunday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks own a 52-12 record in the all-time series and have won ten in a row over the Scots.
Three Stars of the Day
- Salve Regina freshman Brett Mcallister (Tewksbury, Mass.) hit a pinch-hit inside-the-park home run to score three runs and break open the second game for the Seahawks.
- Salve Regina junior Patrick Maybach (Saunderstown, R.I.) pitched eight scoreless innings and struck out 12 batters to improve to 2-1.
- Salve Regina senior Will Ginsberg (Sharon, Mass.) pitched eight innings, allowed two runs, and struck out eight to improve to 2-0.
Key Stat of the Day
The Seahawks doubled up the Scots in hits, 24-12, and struck in the first inning of each game, never trailing the entire day.
In game one the Seahawks jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead. Zack Smith (New Canaan, Conn.) singled to drive in two runs, then Tristan Dacey (Wyckoff, N.J.) singled in Smith to give the Seahawks a three-run advantage right out of the gates in the first inning.
In game two the Seahawks once again scored in the first inning. Madden Ward (Clinton, Conn.) started the game by being hit by a pitch then advanced to second on a groundout. Zack Smith then singled to drive in Ward and put the Seahawks on top 1-0. The Seahawks tallied runs in the third and fourth for a 3-0 advantage before McAllister stepped to the plate in the fifth as a pinch-hitter. With runs at first and second and one out, McAllister scalded a ball to centerfield that carried the Scots centerfielder over the fence. The ball fell fair in the field of play and McAllister was able to round all the bases before the ball finally made its way back to home plate for an inside-the-park home run. It gave the Seahawks a 6-0 lead and complete control and momentum of the game.
- Madden Ward scored five runs in total on the day for the Seahawks to lead all players.
- Zack Smith stole three bases on the day as the Seahawks stole eight total bags.
- Joe Pedulla (Monroe Township, N.J.) went eight innings for the Scots in game one, allowing 12 hits and six runs while striking out three to fall to 0-3. He was relieved by Garrett Poole (Rindge, N.H.) who pitched one inning and gave up a run.
- Derek Hudson (Hudson, N.H.) got the start in game two for Gordon and got through four and a third innings in the loss to fall to 1-2. He allowed seven runs and struck out one batter before being relieved by Mark Gadaleta (Chappaqua, N.Y.) who pitched the remaining four and two thirds of the game giving up one run on two hits and two strikeouts.
Salve Regina (9-4, 2-0 CCC) – hosts Trinity on Tuesday, March 26, at 3:30 p.m.
Gordon (1-15, 0-2 CCC) – hosts Dean on Tuesday, March 26, at 3:30 p.m.