SEAHAWK BASEBALL RESULTS
 Salve Regina 12, Nichols 2
 Salve Regina 4, Nichols 1
Newport, R.I. - Reynolds Field
Tuesday, April 23, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Hot bats and strong starting pitching helped the Salve Regina University baseball team sweep a pair of Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) games from Nichols College at Reynolds Field Tuesday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks own a 48-15 record in the all-time series and have won five in a row over the Scots.
Three Stars of the Day
- Salve Regina sophomore Michael Mathews (West Hartford, Conn.) pitched a complete game in the second game, allowing just one run in seven innings and striking out 11 batters.
- Salve Regina senior Will Ginsberg (Sharon, Mass.) pitched six innings, allowed two runs, neither was earned, and struck out one while improving to 3-2 on the mound.
- Salve Regina freshman Sean O'Malley (Darien, Conn.) went 4-for-4 in game one and had five total hits on the day, scored two runs, and drove in four.
Key Stat of the Day
The Seahawks consistently made contact off the Bison pitchers, striking for 22 total hits, while Nichols only mustered nine scattered hits between both games.
In game one back-to-back doubles for O'Malley and Michael DeFusco (East Greenwhich, R.I.) in the third inning plated two runs to give the Seahawks a 3-2 lead. In the fourth, singles from Dylan Ketch (Clinton, Conn.) and Zack Smith brought two more runs home to expand the Seahawks lead, then Ketch scored from third while Smith was caught in a run-down between first and second to give the Seahawks a 6-2 lead. Smith and Madden Ward (Clinton, Conn.) would both knock in three runs with homers in the sixth and seventh respectively for the 12-2 final.
In game two the Seahawks got off to a quick start with three runs in the top of the first inning to take the lead. Michael Matthews did the rest, striking out a career-high 11 batters over the course of seven innings. The lone Bison run in the game came courtesy of a Joe Assenza (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) solo homer in the third inning.
- Brendan Duffy (Stratford, Conn.) took the loss in game one for the Bison, going three innings and allowing three runs while striking out three.
- Jack Dicenso (Norfolk, Mass.) went the distance in game two but took the loss, allowing four runs and striking out five.
Salve Regina (18-13, 7-5 CCC) – travels to face Curry on Saturday, April 27, at 11 a.m.
Nichols (18-15, 5-7 CCC) – travels to Worcester on Wednesday, April 24, at 3:30 p.m.