SEAHAWK FIELD HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 5, WPI 2
Worcester, Mass. - Alumni Stadium
Saturday, September 2, 2017
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks even the all-time series at four wins apiece and record their first triumph in Worcester in their third-ever meeting with the Engineers at Alumni Stadium.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina ...
Key Stat of the Game
- Cody initially put the Seahawks on the board when she buried a rebound at 5:25. She followed up with a penalty stroke just over seven minutes later.
- WPI sophomore Suzy Opalka (Harvard, Mass.), who tipped a feed to the bottom right corner from classmate Shannon Hynes (Auburn, Mass.) at 42:13, broke up the shutout.
- Freshman Tori Bickel (Harleysville, PA) countered for the guests with a goal 34 seconds later, her first collegiate score.
- Just over 10 minutes into the second half, Cody setup sophomore Olivia St. Jean (Goffstown, N.H.) with a pass to the top left of the circle for the 4-1 advantage.
- Cody completed the hat-trick when she pushed the lead to 5-1 with a marker at 54:06.
- Seahawk senior goalkeeper Jessie Severino (Branford, Conn.) made 15 stops in the complete-game effort while classmate Brooke Tolley (Brookside, N.J.) added a defensive save.
- The Engineers had the 12-4 advantage in corners and a 28-17 margin in shots (18-15 on goal).
WPI (0-1) remains home for a 7 p.m. meeting with Simmons Tuesday while Salve Regina (1-0) returns to the city for a 7 p.m. contest at Worcester State Thursday.