SEAHAWK FIELD HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 3, Western New England 0
Middletown, R.I. - Gaudet Field
Wednesday, October 11, 2017
The Salve Regina University field hockey team earned their second shutout of the season with a 3-0 victory over visiting Western New England University in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action.
Series and Streaks
This was the 23rd meeting between the two teams. The Seahawks sweep the season series from the Golden Bears and hold a 14-9 record all-time in the series.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina senior Jessie Severino (Branford, Conn.) earned her second shutout of the season, stopping all nine shots she faced.
- Salve Regina senior Amber Cody (Pawling, N.Y.) scored her conference leading 20th goal of the season to round out the Seahawks scoring on the night.
- Salve Regina freshman Tori Bickel (Harleysville, Pa.) opened the scoring for the Seahawks in the seventh minute, scoring what proved to be the game-winning goal.
Key Stat of the Game
The Golden Bears were held without a shot in the final 14 minutes of the game.
The Seahawks broke open the game with two quick goals to open the second half. Ashley Cody (Pawling, N.Y.) scored in the 38th and her sister Amber netted one in the 43rd forcing a Western New England timeout. The Golden Bears came out strong after stoppage and outshot the Seahawks 8-1 over the next 16 minutes, dominating time of possession, and never allowing the Seahawks past midfield, before stealing back the ball. The Golden Bears also had six corner opportunities during this stretch. Despite the excellent push the Golden Bears could not find the back of the net and could never regain the momentum again in the match.
- Senior goalkeeper Grace Trupe (Cardiff, Calif.) kept things close for a while for the Golden Bears, making several sensational stops, including stuffing Amber Cody on a breakaway chance which would have given the Seahawks a 4-0 lead. She finished with 10 saves while allowing three goals in the loss.
- The Seahawks outshot the Golden Bears 24-16 and held a 12-10 edge in corners.
- Tonight was the Seahawks annual "Play 4 the Cure" game. Seahawk players will be wore pink socks during the game handed out purple bracelets to their opponents during pre-game announcements. The Salve Regina field hockey team hopes to draw awareness to cancer research and raise funds to find a cure through this special game.
- The Seahawks have established a secure online donation site with the National Foundation for Cancer Research. Donations collected throughout the contest will benefit the National Foundation for Cancer Research.
Salve Regina (9-4, 6-2 CCC) - travels to face Endicott College on Saturday, October 14 (1 p.m.) in another Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) match.
Western New England (6-6, 4-4 CCC) - travels to face the University of New England on Saturday, October 14 (1 p.m.).