SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 69, Newbury 67
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Saturday, December 1, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University men's basketball defeated visiting Newbury College, 69-67, in non-league action at the Rodgers Recreation Center on Saturday afternoon. The Seahawks (3-4) were led by freshman Mikey Spencer (Abington, Mass.) with 22 points and sophomore Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.) with 17 points. The Nighthawks (2-3) who had scored at least 91 points in each of their first four games, were paced by Pierce Weatherspoon (Hartford, Conn.) with 22 points and Omar Williams (Queens, N.Y.) with a game-high 26 points.
Series and Streaks
Today was the first ever meeting between the two schools in men's basketball. Salve Regina has now won 13 in a row against Newbury with women's volleyball (six), men's soccer (four), and softball (two) clinching the other victories since 2007.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina freshman Mikey Spencer (Abington, Mass.) scored 22 points off the bench on six-of-15 from the floor, three 3-pointers, and seven-of-eight from the charity stripe.
- Salve Regina sophomore Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.) put together a double-double on the stat sheet with 17 points and 12 rebounds.
- Newbury senior Omar Williams (Queens, N.Y.) led the Nighthawks in scoring (26) and rebounding (eight)..
Key Stat of the Game
Both teams made 24 field goals with the visitors hitting three more 3-pointers (8-5); Salve Regina had 10 more free throw attempts and were able to outscore Newbury, 16-11, from the charity stripe.
After Cameron Collins hit a pair of free throws to start the second half scoring, Jonathan Friberg (No. Attleboro, Mass.) nailed a jumper and 3-pointer, and Andrew Bronstein (Needham, Mass.) had a layup as Salve Regina had the first nine points and a 48-41 lead three minutes into the second.
- Newbury had scored at least 91 points in each of its first four games.
- Salve Regina holds an opponent under 81 for the first time all season.
- Paced by Mikey Spencer, Salve Regina outscored Bridgewater in bench points, 26-5.
- Weatherspoon fould out with five minutes remaining after scoring 22 points.
Salve Regina hosts Roger Williams University on Tuesday, December 4, in the Rodgers Recreation Center (7:30 p.m.); the Nighthawks continue on their three-game road trip to face the Saints at Emmanual College.