SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Mitchell 80, Salve Regina 70
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Tuesday, December 11, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. (December 11, 2018) - Junior forward Hasani Williams (Miramar, Fla.) scored 12 of his team-high 18 points in the second half to lead Mitchell College (4-3) to a come-from-behind 80-70 victory over Salve Regina University (4-6) in non-league men's basketball action at the Rodgers Recreation Center on Tuesday evening.
Series and Streaks
Mitchell wins the last four meetings with Salve Regina to take a 4-3 lead in the series. The Mariners have won three in a row on the season.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina sophomore Kevin Kelly (Valhalla, N.Y.) went 12-of-21 from the floor including two 3-pointers and two free throws for a game-high 28 points. Last Saturday on the road at Worcester State University, Kelly had a career-high 29 points in the Seahawk win.
- Mitchell junior Hasani Williams (Miramar, Fla.) led his team with 18 points, including 12 in the second half. He was 9-for-11 from the floor and made it a double-double in the stat sheet with 10 rebounds..
- Mitchell junior Matt Finke (Wolcott, Conn.) went 4-for-6 from long range and totalled 13 points for the Mariners. His 3-pointer started the scoring in the second half as the visitors enjoyed a 23-5 run in the first nine minutes of the period.
Key Stat of the Game
Both teams were subpar from the free-throw line (Mariners 54.5 percent; Seahawks 50 percent), but the visitors had a 12-point difference from the charity stripe (18-6).
Finke's 3-pointer started the 23-5 run for the Mariners who also got eight points from Hasani Williams and six points from Domenico Santiago (Port St. Lucie, Fla.) during the stretch. The Seahawks countered with an 11-1 run from 10:22 to 8:20, with Mikey Spencer (Abington, Mass.) kicking it off with his only trey of the game. Kevin Kelly and Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.) each had a pair of layups. During a subsequent 11-1 run for Mitchell, Steffen Brunson (New Haven, Conn.) made two layups.
- All six losses for Salve Regina have been by double-digit margins.
- Kelly had 10 points at the half as Salve Regina led by five (37-32).
- Brunson finished with 17 points for Mitchell with nine coming from free throws.
- Spencer (11) and Collins (14) also finished in double-figure scoring for the Seahawks.
- Kelly had a career-high nine steals.
- Three Seahawks finished with five rebounds apiece - Collins, Jonathan Friberg (No. Attleboro, Mass.), and Andrew Bronstein (Needham, Mass.).
Mitchell hosts Anna Maria on Saturday, December 15, with a noon tip-off. Salve Regina hosts University of Saint Joseph on Saturday, December 29, at 1 p.m.