SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 77, Wentworth 69
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Saturday, January 5, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Freshman Mikey Spencer (Abington, Mass.) scored 30 points on 10-of-13 from the floor including six 3-pointers to lead Salve Regina University men's basketball over Wentworth Institute of Technology, 77-69, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Rodgers Recreation Center on the Seahawk campus. The Seahawks (6-7, 2-2 CCC) end a nine-game losing skid in the all-time series with the Leopards (4-9, 2-3 CCC).
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks improve to 33-30 in the all-time series while halting the Leopards nine-game win streak dating back to 2013.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina freshman Mikey Spencer (Abington, Mass.) notched 30 points for the second time this season (38 points against Colby-Sawyer on Nov. 17). He made 10-of-13 field goals including six of nine from behind the arc.
- Wentworth sophomore Kyle Henseler (Coventry, R.I.) led the Leopards with 22 points on 50 percent shooting (six of 12) including four 3-pointers and six free throws.
- Salve Regina sophomore Kevin Kelly (Valhalla, N.Y.) also went six of 12 from the floor (one 3-pointer) and made six free throws for 19 points; he had a game-high six assists.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina outscored Wentworth, 15-8, from the free-throw line. The Leopards made just half of their attempts from the stripe while the Seahawks finished 15-of-21.
Kyle Henseler, Matt Vartanian, and Noah Bice combined for three 3-pointers and a layup for an 11-0 run for the Leopards in the first that turned a seven-point deficit in the largest Wentworth advantage. Salve Regina had its own 11-0 run as part of an overall 20-4 burst to build a double-digit lead. Mikey Spencer, Cameron Collins, Kevin Kelly and Mike Palmieri scored during the big stretch for the Seahawks.
- Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.) had eight points and his eight rebounds were most by any indivdual.
- Stephen Azurns (Hyde Park, Mass.) scored 15 points on seven of eight from in close.
- Noah Bice (Woodacre, Calif.) finished in double digits with 11 points including two treys.
- Wentworth had the edge in long distance (nine to eight) field goals made.
- Salve Regina won the battle of the boards, 31-25.
Salve Regina (6-7, 2-2 CCC) starts a three-game road trip at the University of New England on Tuesday, January 8 (7 p.m.). Wentworth (4-9, 2-3 CCC) returns home for the first time in 2019 when the Leopards host the Gulls of Endicott College on Tuesday (7:30 p.m.).