SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Nichols 95, Salve Regina 76
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Saturday, January 26, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Nichols College senior Marcos Echevarria (Lynn, Mass.), reigning two-time Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Player of the Year, sank a pair of first-half 3-pointers to extend his NCAA record for consecutive games with a made trey to 94 (best in all divisions) as the Bison defeated Salve Regina University men's basketball, 95-76, at the Rodgers Recreation Center. The Bison (18-2, 10-1 CCC) overcame an early deficit and were led by Matt Morrow's (Leicester, Mass.) double-double (28 points, 13 rebounds). The Seahawks (7-13, 3-8 CCC) had 24 points from sophomore Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.).
Series and Streaks
The Bison lead the all-time series, 29-25, and has won the last 13 meetings consecutively. The Bison have swept the season series each year since 2014-15 including a neutral meeting in Babson College tip-off tournament. The Seahawks have the edge in Newport (16-12) when the Bison visit, but Nichols has won its last five trips for a 9-9 mark on the Rodgers Recreation Center hardwood since 2002.
Three Stars of the Game
- Nichols sophomore Matt Morrow (Leicester, Mass.) had game-highs in scoring (28 points) and rebounding (13) while making 14 of 17 attempts from the floor.
- Nichols junior DeAnte Bruton (New London, Conn.) poured in 26 points on 11-of-15 shooting including four 3-pointers.
- Salve Regina sophomore Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.) made 11-of-14 field goals and added two free throws for a team-high 24 points.
Key Stat of the Game
Both teams made over 50 percent of their field goal attempts (SRU - 53.2%; NC - 51.2%), but the Bison made nine more shots from the floor (42-33) and three more 3-pointers (8-5).
Salve Regina opened the second half on a 9-3 run to close its deficit to five points (49-44). Collins had seven of the nine points with three layups and a free throw, and Mikey Spencer (Abington, Mass.) swished a jumper. A Nate Tenaglia (Tewksbury, Mass.) 3-pointer started a 19-8 run for the Bison over six and a half minutes in the second half. Five different Bison scored in the burst including Jerome Cunningham (Westbury, N.Y.) and former Seahawk Bryce Boggs (Hyde Park, N.Y.). Nichols led by as many as 26 points (93-67) following a Kash Jackson (Canton, Ga.) 3-pointer at the 2:45 mark.
- Echevarria has hit at least one 3-pointer in 94 consecutive games.
- Echevarria had already bested the previous NCAA Division III record (which was 75 by Chris Carideo of Widener, 1992-95); now owns the overall NCAA record at Divisions I, II, and III (previous record-holder Daniel Parke of Rollins College, 1993-97).
- The only games in his career Echevarria did not make a 3-pointer was Jan. 5, 2016, vs Roger Williams (0-for-5) and Jan. 14, 2016, vs Gordon (0-for-6). He missed his first two attempts today.
- Echevarria finished with 10 points.
- Mikey Spencer finished with 19 points and a team-high six rebounds.
- Mike Palmieri came off the bench to contribute 10 points for the Seahawks.
Salve Regina (7-13, 3-8 CCC) continues its four-game homestand when it hosts Endicott College on Wed., January 30 (7:30 p.m.). Nichols (18-2, 10-1 CCC) returns to Dudley for a 7:30 p.m. tip-off with Western New England University on Wednesday.