SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Western New England 93, Salve Regina 80
Rodgers Recreation Center - Newport, R.I.
Tuesday, February 5, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Senior guard Mikey Pettway (Bridgeport, Conn.) led five Golden Bears in double figures with a game-high 27 points as Western New England University defeated Salve Regina University, 93-80, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) men's basketball action. Sophomore Kevin Kelly (Valhalla, N.Y.) led the Seahawks (8-15, 4-10 CCC) with 22 points. Western New England (10-13, 7-7 CCC) wins its second straight to split the season series with Salve Regina.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks lead the all-time series, 14-10, and had won the previous six meetings and seven of the last nine.
Three Stars of the Game
- Western New England senior Mikey Pettway (Bridgeport, Conn.) scored 17 of his game-high 27 points from the free-throw line; he made five field goals and assisted on 10 others.
- Salve Regina sophomore Kevin Kelly (Valhalla, N.Y.) made nine of 10 free throws and also had five field goals (three 3-pointers) for 22 points; he added five assists.
- Western New England junior Tim Reilly (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.) finished with 19 points (6-10 FG, 3-4 3PT, 4-6 FT), four rebounds, and five assists.
Key Stat of the Game
Western New England dished out 23 assists on its 31 field goals, and shot nearly 43 percent from long range (9-21; 42.9%).
Kevin Kelly's steal and feed to Andrew Bronstein (Needham, Mass.) led to a fastbreak layup and free throw to cap an 8-1 run for the Seahawks who narrowed a double-digit deficit (76-65) to just four points (77-73) with 4:26 remaining. Reilly, Pettway, and Mike McGuire (Garden City, N.Y.) had layups for the Golden Bears in an ensuing 6-1 burst, and then another double-digit advantage returned with three successive baskets from Zachary Tavitian (Milford, Conn.).
- Pettway had a double-double, or technically a triple-double, with 27 points, 10 assists, and 17 free throws made.
- Bronstein and freshman Mike Palmieri (Bristol, Conn.) had 13 points apiece, while Mikey Spencer (Abington, Mass.) and Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.) finished with 12 and 11 points, respectively.
- For the second straight game, Seahawk senior Kevin Mannix (Barrington, R.I.) had his career-high rebound total. He finished with 12 boards tonight after Saturday's win against the University of New England had his 11 caroms matching previous mark against the Golden Bears last January.
- Tavitian (17), McGuire (13), and Alex Sikorski (Rocky Hill, Conn.) (12 points) all scored in double figures for Western New England.
- Salve Regina won the battle of the boards, 34-27.
Salve Regina (8-15, 4-10 CCC) makes its final road trip of the regular season on Saturday, February 9, to play Gordon College in Wenham, Mass. Western New England (10-13, 7-7 CCC) hosts Endicott College on Wednesday, February 13.