SEAHAWK MEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 7, Becker 2
Portsmouth, Rhode Island - Portsmouth Abbey
Sunday, December 10, 2017
Five unanswered goals in the second period helped the Salve Regina University men's ice hockey team overcome a 1-0 deficit to defeat visiting Becker College 7-2 in a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) contest Sunday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks own a 12-10-0 record in the all-time series and have won four in a row and 11 of the last 12 meetings with the Hawks.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina freshman Ulysses Lalor (Great Falls, Va.) made 16 saves and allowed one goal in 33:17 of action, his first collegiate appearance.
- Salve Regina freshman Danny Eruzione (Winthrop, Mass.) handed out three assists.
- Salve Regina freshman Edward Hirka (Vienna, Ga.) scored his first career goal on the powerplay in the second period to give the Seahawks a 2-1 lead.
The Hawks scored six seconds into a powerplay late in the first period on just their second shot on goal of the game. The Seahawks began the second period trailing for just the second time all season and quickly turned things around. Four different players scored for the Seahawks in the first 5:26 of the period forcing a timeout from the visitors and a goalie change. Vincenzo Renda (Westmount, Quebec) scored at 8:25 on the powerplay to give the Seahawks a 5-1 cushion and complete control of the game.
- Brandon Morgan (Rochester, N.Y.) scored on a breakaway 4:16 into the third period to made it 6-2 in favor of the Seahawks before penalties gave the Hawks a 5-on-3 opportunity and a chance to cut further into the Seahawks lead. The Seahawks killed off the first penalty then scored their second short-handed goal of the season (both came this weekend against Becker) when Paul Boutoussov (Dana Point, Calif.) converted a 2-on-1 break to give the Seahawks a 7-2 lead.
- Ryan Clifford (Coventry, R.I.) got the start in net for the Hawks and was pulled midway through the second period. He totaled 19 save sin 25:26 of action before being pulled for sophomore Cody Foster (Saugus, Calif.) who stopped 10 shots in 34:34 of icetime while allowing three more scores.
- Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.) saw 26:32 in net for the Seahawks before being relived by Lalor with the Seahawks leading 4-1. Wojtala stopped two of three shots while in net.
- Seven different players scored for the Seahawks.
- The Seahawks outshot the Hawks 36-20.
- The Hawks went 1-for-7 on the powerplay while the Seahawks went 2-for-12 with the man advantage.
Salve Regina (8-3-2, 7-1-2 CCC) will travel to face Adrian in Boston, Mass., on Friday, December 29 (4 p.m.) in the 53rd annual Codfish Bowl.
Becker (4-10-1, 2-8-0 CCC) hosts Westfield St. on Thursday, January 4 (7 p.m.) in a non-conference matchup.