SEAHAWK MEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
UNE 3, Salve Regina 0
Portsmouth Abbey - Portsmouth, R.I.
Friday, November 2, 2018
PORTSMOUTH, R.I. - Visiting University of New England got a shutout performance from sophomore goaltender Ben Churchfield (Newcastle, England) to defeated the Salve Regina University men's ice hockey team 3-0 in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action to begin the 2018-19 season.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina still leads 4-3 in the all-time series, but the Nor'easters snap a two-game losing streak to the Seahawks.
Three Stars of the Game
- UNE sophomore Ben Churchfield made 20 saves to improve to 1-0-0 and earn his first shutout of the season.
- UNE senior Brady Fleurent (Biddeford, Maine) scored what proved to be the game-winning goal late in the first period.
- UNE junior Ryan Bloom (Northville, Mich.) scored his first of the season on the powerplay in the second period to give the Nor'easters a 2-0 lead.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks were outshot 26-8 through the first two periods and trailed 2-0.
The third period was the only period in the game where the Seahawks had more shots than the Nor'easters as they fought to get on the scoreboard and put some pressure on the visitors. Late in the period, Tyler Seltenreich (Littleton, Colo.) had a loose puck find his stick in the slot and was able to turn a shoot quickly towards the net from the left side. His shot had the angle to get past the Seahawks netminder and sneak just inside the pipe to give the Nor'easters a commanding 3-0 lead.
- Senior netminder Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.) made 32 saves in the loss to fall to 0-1-0.
- UNE held a 35-20 shot advantage.
- The Nor'easters, who had the nation's top powerplay last season, went 1-for-4 with the man advantage, while the Seahawks went 0-for-3.
- This is the lowest scoring game between the Seahawks and the Nor'easters.
Salve Regina (0-1-0) will travel to Biddeford, Maine, for a 7 p.m., rematch with the University of New England (1-0-0).