SEAHAWK MEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Wentworth 4, Salve Regina 3
Portsmouth Abbey - Portsmouth, R.I.
Saturday, January 19, 2019
PORTSMOUTH, R.I. - Visiting Wentworth Institute of Technology scored three unanswered powerplay goals in the third period to top the Salve Regina University men's ice hockey team by a 4-3 final in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Saturday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
The Leopards own a 27-6-3 record over the Seahawks all-time.
Three Stars of the Game
- Wentworth freshman Jake McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) scored on the powerplay with 29 seconds remaining in the game to put the Leopards on top. He also assisted on two other goals.
- Salve Regina sophomore Danny Eruzione (Winthrop, Mass.) scored twice and dished out an assist. He leads the Seahawks in total points on the season (23).
- Wentworth freshman Ryan Donnvie (Falmouth, Maine) improves to 3-0 in net after stopping 35 shots in the win.
Key Stat of the Game
After holding the Leopards to 0-for-5 on the powerplay, including killing off a five-minute major penalty, the Seahawks gave up three straight powerplay goals to surrender the lead.
Paul Boutoussov (Dana Point, Calif.) netted a powerplay goal at 5:26 of the third period to give the Seahawks a 3-1 lead and seemingly enough breathing room to be able to hang on for a win. However shortly after scoring, Boutoussov was called for tripping and Angus Johnston (Calgary, Alberta) netted the Leopards first powerplay goal of the night at 9:03. Shortly afterwards the Leopards were right back on the powerplay and it only took 21 seconds for Nate Chase (Plainfield, Ill.) to light the lamp and tie the score 3-3. In the span of 55 seconds the Leopards had gone from down two goals, to even. The teams battled down the stretch, both with quality scoring chances, but it ended when McKenelley scored on the powerplay with just 29 ticks left on the clock to give the Leopards a comeback win on the road.
- Senior netminder Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.) made 29 saves in the loss to fall to 9-5-2 in net on the season.
- The Seahawks outshot the Leopards 38-33.
- Salve Regina went 2-for-5 on the powerplay while the Leopards finished the game 3-for-10, all three coming in the third period.
Salve Regina (10-5-2, 7-2-1 CCC) hosts Plymouth State on Tuesday, January 22, at 7:35 p.m. Wentworth (6-8-4, 3-6-1 CCC) will travel to face the University of New England on Friday, January 25, in another CCC matchup.