SEAHAWK MEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 3, Becker 2
Portsmouth Abbey - Portsmouth, R.I.
Saturday, February 9, 2019
PORTSMOUTH, R.I. - The Salve Regina University men's ice hockey team built a 3-0 lead and hung on for a 3-2 victory over visiting Becker College in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Saturday night to secure a first-round bye in the CCC playoffs.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks own a 15-10-0 record in the all-time series and have won seven in a row over the Hawks.
Colin Clapton, Kevin Clare, Nick Cyr, Kyle Moore, Shaun Patry, Evan Schmidbauer, and Blake Wojtala represent the Seahawks Class of 2019 and each was joined by family and friends on the ice pregame for a special ceremony commemorating their time at Salve Regina.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina sophomore Paul Boutoussov (Dana Point, Calif.) scored twice for his team-leading 17th and 18th of the season.
- Salve Regina sophomore Danny Eruzione (Winthrop, Mass.) handed out a pair of assists. He now ranks 13th in the nation in points per game.
- Becker sophomore Ryan Clifford (Coventry, R.I.) made 49 saves, matching both his season and career-high, in the loss to fall to 0-3-0 in net for the Hawks this season.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina did not commit a penalty in the game and outshot the Hawks 52-22.
After leading 3-0 the Hawks scrapped their way back into the game with goals from James Perry (Atkinson, N.H.) late in the second and Romain Wild (Mex, Switzerland) early in the third to make it a one-goal game. The teams traded chances, but with the Seahawks still in the lead the Hawks needed to pull the goaltender for the extra attacker in the game's final minute. The Seahawks defense held strong and was able to run out the rest of the time remaining to hang on for the 3-2 win.
- Paul Botoussov scored his first of the game to open the scoring for the Seahawks at 8:24 of the first period before Colin Clapton (Canton, Mass.) made it 2-0 at 14:03. Boutoussov scored his second, and the game's winning goal, 56 seconds into the second period.
- Blake Wojtala (Trenton, Mich.) made 20 saves to improve to 15-6-2 between the pipes for the Seahawks.
- Salve Regina went 0-for-3 on the powerplay while the Hawks were never given a chance with the man advantage.
Salve Regina (16-6-2, 12-3-1 CCC) will square off against the University of New England on Saturday, February 16 at 7 p.m., to decide first place in the CCC. Becker (3-20-1, 2-13-1 CCC) wraps up their season at home versus Curry.