SEAHAWK MEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Western New England 1, Salve Regina 0 [2OT]
Newport, Rhode Island - Reynolds Field
Sunday, October 23, 2016
Western New England University junior Logan Pingree (Middletown, Conn.) made a sliding kick off a feed from classmate Troy Remillard (Palmer, Mass.) and scored the game's only goal as the Golden Bears defeated Salve Regina University in double overtime in the 109th minute. Remillard had collected a corner kick from the opposite side before lobbing an entry pass.
Series and Streaks
Western New England now owns a 6-2-3 mark in the all-time series, including three consecutive victories. Salve Regina's last win in the series came during its 2012 conference championship season.
- Western New England is the only CCC men's soccer team without a tie result on its 2016 schedule.
- Salve Regina needs a tie or a win to have a chance to finish ahead of the University of New England for the eighth and final spot in the conference postseason (begins Oct. 29).
- Pingree now has eight goals and 20 points on the season, ranking fourth in the league in both categories.
- Both Salve Regina victories in the all-time series with Western New England came at home in Newport (2010, 2012).
- With the win, Western New England jumps over Nichols College into fourth place (and a potential home playoff game). Golden Bears (5-3 CCC) and Bison (4-3-1 CCC) meet Wednesday to decide the fourth/fifth seeding.
- Salve Regina's Michael Payan (Fort Lee, N.J.) made six saves while Kevin Strobel (Rockland, Mass.) stopped all 10 shots on his net for the Golden Bears.