SEAHAWK MEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Salve Regina 2, Roger Williams 1
Newport, R.I. - Reynolds Field
Saturday, October 7, 2017
Freshman midfielder Donald Igo (Needham, Mass.) scored twice to help the Salve Regina University men's soccer team earn a 2-1 victory over Roger Williams University in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Saturday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
This was the 37th meeting between the two teams. The Hawks still own a 22-12-3 record in the all-time series, however the Seahawks have now gone 4-1-1 in the last six meetings.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina freshman Donald Igo scored both goals for the Seahawks, his fourth and fifth of the season.
- Salve Regina junior Michael Payan (Fort Lee, N.J.) made four saves in the game and assisted on Igo's first goal.
- Roger Williams sophomore Spencer Thibodeau (Kennebunkport, Maine) scored in the 37th to knot the score at 1-1.
Key Stat of the Game
Roger Williams outshot the Seahawks 13-9 overall, but could only held a 5-4 edge in shots on the goal.
The game was tied 1-1 in the 59th minute when Jimmy Dalton (Quincy, Mass.) sent a pass from the left corner out to the top of the box where Igo corralled it with his left foot, then quickly brought the ball quickly to his right foot, away from defender and fired a shot that zipped past the Hawks keeper giving Salve Regina the lead.
- Hawks netminder Edmund Geschickter (Brookline, Mass.) made two saves in the loss.
- Payan now has two assists on the season for the Seahawks, the other coming in Salve Regina's 4-0 victory over Newbury College on Septmber 9.
- The Hawks were whistled for 20 fouls while the Seahawks were called for eight.
- Three yellow-cards were assessed in the game, all against Salve Regina.
Salve Regina (6-3-3, 1-2-1 CCC) - plays at Eastern Nazarene on Tuesday, October 10 (7 p.m.).
Roger Williams (6-5-3, 2-2-0 CCC) - hosts Curry on Wednesday, October 11 (7 p.m.)