SEAHAWK MEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Salve Regina 2, Mitchell 1
Newport, R.I. - Reynolds Field
Thursday, October 12, 2017
Salve Regina University men's soccer scored two unanswered goals in the second half to defeat visiting Mitchell College in non-league action at Reynolds Field.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks have won all four meetings with the Mariners. Salve Regina's current six-game unbeaten streak matches its longest in men's soccer since an eight-game win streak in 2012.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina senior Jared Warren (Georgetown, Mass.) tied the game with his team-leading seventh goal, and assisted on the game-winner. He now leads the Seahawks with 16 points.
- Salve Regina freshman Casey Kelly (Waldwick, N.J.) contributed at left back and advanced to the offensive side where he scored his first collegiate goal, the game-winner.
- Mitchell senior Zavier Veliz (New London, Conn.) put the Mariners on top, 1-0, in the first half when he headed a throw in from junior teammate TJ Condon (North Stonington, Conn.).
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks had double-digit corner kicks (10) while the Mariners were limited to two.
Seahawks were scoreless for the first 68 minutes before Warren deposited a feed from junior Evan Laske (Wethersfield, Conn.) and less than two minutes later Casey Kelly had his first collegiate goal.
Mitchell 1st 36:32 Zavier Veliz (TJ Condon) - Throw in from touchline near visitors
Salve Regina 2nd 68:48 Jared Warren (Evan Laske) - Cross from right to center
Salve Regina 2nd 70:00 Casey Kelly (Jared Warren)
- Today was Senior Day for the Seahawks and they recognized five from the Class of 2018 (all started) - Christopher Anderson (Trumbull, Conn.), Evan Coose (Easton, Mass.), PJ Criscione (Boxford, Mass.), Richie Finizio (Fort Lee, N.J.), and Jared Warren (Georgetown, Mass.).
- The last time the Mariners visited Newport (Oct. 22, 2009), the Seahawks won 9-0.
- Coose and Michael Payan (Fort Lee, N.J.) split the time in net for the Seahawks recording two and three saves respectively.
- Sophomore Seth Strader (Preston, Conn.) made three saves for the Mariners.
Salve Regina (8-3-3) returns to Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action on Saturday when it hosts University of New England on Reynolds Field (3 p.m.).
Mitchell (3-7-1) returns to NECC action on Saturday when it hosts Becker College (2:30 p.m.)