WENHAM, Mass.—A strong fourth quarter by Salve Regina women's basketball broke up on one-possession game late and handed Gordon another tough loss in the Commonwealth Coast Conference. Senior Meaghan Harden (Sandwich, Mass.) had a game-high 15 points to lead the Seahawks to a 58-44 win at the Bennett Athletic Center on Saturday afternoon.
Salve Regina improves to 7-7 in the CCC and 8-13 overall, while Gordon drops its 14th consecutive game in the conference. The Scots sit at 4-17 overall.The Fighting Scots scored the first four points of the game, but an onslaught of deep balls by the Seahawks allowed them to go on a 14-3 run over a five-minute span. Sophie Linnell (Richmond, Va.) hit back-to-back layups for the Scots, but Salve held a 14-9 advantage after one.Gordon methodically chipped away at the Seahawk lead and eventually took a 20-19 lead on a layup by Jamie Tafoya (Fort Collins, Colo.) with 2:13 to play in the second quarter.
The two teams traded free throws over the final two minutes until Madelyn Brackett (Coopersville, Mich.) converted a pass from Harden as the buzzer sounded to give Salve a 25-23 lead at the half.The Fighting Scots stayed within a possession the entire third quarter, but could not turn the corner to take a second-half lead. Salve Regina began to hit on their deep ball opportunities in the fourth and the Fighting Scots were unable to recover down the stretch.
The Seahawks return home on Wednesday for a matchup with Nichols. Gordon will host Wentworth on Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.
For the Visitors
- Harden converted three long balls and had a team-high 15 points and seven assists. The senior tied for the team high in rebounds as well with seven.
- Jillian Woodward (Orono, Maine) had an efficient day with 10 points and seven rebounds.
- Allyson Esielionis (Shirley, Mass.) made both of her three-point opportunities coming in key moments and had 10 points.
- Mikayla Roderick (New Bedford, Mass.) stole four passes.
For the Scots
- Freshman Sydney Pefanis (Cumming, Ga.) was the only Scot in double figures on 4-of-7 shooting. The guard also picked up four steals.
- Kristen Smith (Littleton, Mass.) had nine points and two assists.
- Four of Gordon's five worst shooting performances from behind the arch have come in the last five games.