SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 59, Wentworth 40
Newport, R.I. - Rodgers Rec. Ctr.
Wednesday, February 8, 2017
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University women's basketball earned its first victory at home this season (in nine tries) with a 59-40 decision against Wentworth Institute of Technology in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Rodgers Recreation Center.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks have dominated this series, now 47-7 overall, and have won the last four meetings while sweeping the season series. Wentworth (2-20, 0-15 CCC) has lost 13 straight this season and the Leopards are winless in their last 24 league games. Salve Regina (7-15, 5-10 CCC) has its second two-game win streak of 2016-17.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina sophomore guard Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) led all players with 16 points on six of 11 from the floor, including three of five 3-pointers.
- Salve Regina freshman Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) made one 3-pointer while four other baskets came from driving layups to finish with 13 points.
- Salve Regina sophomore Liv Pierce (Tyngsboro, Mass.) chipped in nine points on four of five from the floor while grabbing four rebounds.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina outrebounded the visitors, 49-23, and limited Wentworth to 25.4 percent field goal shooting after the Leopards opened the contest hitting their first three jumpers including a 3-pointer from Courtney McCormick (Hanson, Mass.).
McCormick's jumper at 2:21 in the first quarter gave the Leopards a 16-6 advantage. Salve Regina finished the first half with a 20-6 run (over 11:41) to go into the break with a four-point lead, 26-22. Senior guard Sam Gisonni (Hopewell Junction, N.Y.) started and ended the scoring during the run with her two-for-two field goals.
- Salve Regina junior captain Ally Esielionis (Shirley, Mass.) grabbed a career-high 13 rebounds and swatted away three Leopards' shots.
- Salve Regina junior captain Mary Eden (So. Kingstown, R.I.) also grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds - matching her total from last Saturday's win at Eastern Nazarene - and has 22 boards in last two games.
- Kellie Messer (Hollis, N.H.) and Sam McGibbon (Pembroke, Mass.) both finished with nine points apiece to pace the Leopards.
- Wentworth's four-for-nine from the free-throw line matches a season low for a Salve Regina opponent (Seahawks also limited the Raiders of Rivier College to four-for-nine performance at the charity stripe).