SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 68, Curry 49
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Wednesday, January 3, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Senior Ally Esielionis (Shirley, Mass.) scored a career-high 23 points to lead all players as Salve Regina University women's basketball defeated Curry College, 68-49, in a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) matchup at the Rodgers Recreation Center. Esielionis' previous career high was 20 points on December 6, 2016, in a loss to Roger Williams at home. Esielionis made 11 of 17 field goals and also finished with five rebounds. Classmate Mary Eden (So. Kingstown, R.I.) posted a double-double with a game-high 10 rebounds whille adding 13 points.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 48-19, and ends Curry's win streak in the series at two games (sweep last season). The Colonels had won four of the previous six meetings. Salve Regina improves to 5-1 at home in 2017-18.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina senior Ally Esielionis (Shirley, Mass.) was in double digit points by halftime (11) as the Seahawks led by 11, 33-22. The senior forward finished with her career best 23 points on 11 of 17 from the floor.
- Salve Regina senior Mary Eden (So. Kingstown, R.I.) posted a double double with 10 rebounds and 13 points; she added five assists and three steals.
- Curry junior Emily Irwin (Billerica, Mass.) led the Colonels with 19-point effort in 39 minutes.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina made 13 of 14 (92.9%) from the free throw line while the Colonels missed 13 of 24 (45.8%) attempts from the charity stripe.
Salve Regina junior Lauryn Becker (Hanover, Mass.) hit a layup at 4:44 left in first quarter that forged the fifth (and final) tie of the game (10-10). It also started an 11-4 run for the Seahawks in just over six minutes of play. Sophomore Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) had a layup and her only 3-pointer during the run. Eden and Esielionis had a layup and jumper, respectively.
- Junior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) had a pair of 3-pointers among her three field goals, and went 3-for-3 from the line, to finish with 11 points.
- Senior Nicole Rice (Woburn, Mass.) was the only other Colonel to reach double digits in points (10) with four field goals and 2-for-2 from the free-throw line.
- Freshman Gina Coote (Dedham, Mass.) scored four seconds after the opening tip off, and finished with eight points.
- Coote and Molly Plunkett (Quincy, Mass.) led the Colonels in rebounds with seven apiece.
- Becker had seven boards for the Seahawks.
Salve Regina (6-4, 3-1 CCC) hosts five-time defending conference champion University of New England on Saturday, January 6, at 1 p.m.; Curry (6-5, 2-2 CCC) returns home to face Roger Williams University in a 1 p.m. tip off in Milton, Mass.