SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 68, Nichols 53
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Thursday, February 8, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University sophomore Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) and junior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) scored 24 and 22 points, respectively, as the Seahawks defeated the Bison of Nichols College, 68-53, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) women's basketball action at the Rodgers Recreation Center on Thursday night. The Seahawks connected on a season-high 10 baskets from behind the arc, with Scorpio (four) and Beland (five) leading the way.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 38-9, and the Seahawks have won the 17 meetings. Last time the Bison defeated the Seahawks in women's basketball (Jan. 21, 2009), their current head coach, MaryLynn Skarzenski, was a senior on the squad earning Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year honors. Salve Regina wins its second straight game in February while Nichols is currently mired in a 13-game losing skid.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina junior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) had 20 points in the first half making seven of 11 shots including five of six 3-pointers. She finished perfect from the line (three-for-three) and had eight rebounds, two assists, and two steals with zero turnovers.
- Salve Regina sophomore Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) scored 15 of her game-high 24 points in the second half, and finished 10-of-15 from the floor with four 3-pointers.
- Nichols senior Allison Cerrato (Rockland, Mass.) led her team with 19 points on six of 14 from the floor including seven of 12 from the free-throw line.
Key Stat of the Game
Double-digit 3-pointers made (10) for the Seahawks were twice as many as the Bison made (five). Salve Regina also had 18 offensive rebounds and turned that into 15 second-chance points.
Salve Regina did not score its first points until under seven minutes remaining in the opening quarter; the Seahawks got 3-pointers from Beland and Scorpio to take a three-point lead (6-3) at the 5:19 mark. Leading 17-10 in the second quarter, Beland made four 3-pointers during a 16-2 run to take command of the game.
- Three players had eight rebounds apiece - Beland, Mary Eden (So. Kingstown, R.I.) for the Seahawks; Beth Laing (Sparta, N.J.) for the Bison.
- Salve Regina has had double-digit assists in 14 of its 21 games; tonight the Seahawks finished with 16 assists.
- The Bison bench outscored the Seahawk bench, 12-7; more precisely, Callie Andrews (Southbridge, Mass.) outscored Mary Rorke (Norton, Mass.) as both came off the bench to provide 12 and 7 points, respectively.
Salve Regina (12-9, 9-6 CCC) travels to Biddeford, Maine on Saturday to face the University of New England (1 p.m.); Nichols (3-19, 1-14 CCC) has its final road game of the regular season at Western New England University on Saturday (1 p.m.).