SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 53, Gordon 44
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Saturday, February 17, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University women's basketball avenged an early season loss against Gordon College as the Seahawks defeated the Scots, 53-44, to close out the regular season and clinch the No. 5 seed in the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) playoffs at the Rodgers Recreation Center. Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) led all players with 21 points on seven of 12 from the floor including four 3-pointers and three-for-three from the free throw line.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 29-14, and has won 21 of the last 22 meetings (25 of last 27), after Gordon won the earlier meeting this season, 66-49, in Wenham. The Seahawks have only lost once to the Scots on the Rodgers Recreation Center hardwood (Jan. 20, 2001).
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina junior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) led all players with 21 points on seven of 12 from the floor including four 3-pointers and three-for-three from the free throw line.
- Salve Regina senior Ally Esielionis (Shirley, Mass.) grabbed a career-high 15 rebounds and blocked a career-high seven shots.
- Gordon sophomore Meghan Foley (Malden, Mass.) led the Scots with with 14 points on six of 21 from the floor and two free throws.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina held Gordon scoreless for the first three and a half minutes of the game, and the Scots shot just 18.8 percent (6-32) in the first half.
After Kerri Beland made a layup in the third quarter (2:04) to give Salve Regina its largest lead (42-23, 19 points), Gordon went on a 21-7 run to make it a two-possesion game with under a minute to play (49-44). Beland, Esielionis, and Mary Rorke (Norton, Mass.) each made free throws for the final score.
- Mary Eden (So. Kingstown, R.I.) and Ally Esielionis (Shirley, Mass.) were both honored before the game in Senior Day ceremonies. Eden finished with eight rebounds and six assists.
- Gordon's 22.2 shooting percentage was the second-lowest of the season for a Seahawk opponent. Salve Regina held Wentworth Institute of Technology to under 18 percent shooting in a 42-point victory on December 5.
- Beland scores 20 or more points for the second time this season, and second time in last four games.
- Neither team could score in double-digits in the second quarter (9-5).
- Despite more offensive rebounds (14-9), Gordon gave up more second chance points than it scored (10-8).
CCC Championships: Salve Regina (13-11, 10-8 CCC) earns the No. 5 seed and will play at No. 4 Western New England University on Tuesday at 7 p.m. Gordon (8-17, 6-12 CCC) grabs the No. 7 seed and will travel to No. 2 seed Roger Williams University for a 5:30 p.m. tip off.