SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 62, Wentworth 53
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Saturday, January 5, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University women's basketball rallied from a double-digit deficit to defeat Wentworth Institute of Technology, 62-53, in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Rodgers Recreation Center on the Seahawk campus. The Leopards (1-12, 0-5 CCC) led by as many as 11 points in the first half, but the Seahawks (5-8, 1-3 CCC) won the third quarter with a 23-8 score to take over the lead.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina wins its seventh straight in the all-time series with Wentworth, and the Seahawks improve to 50-7 against the Leopards.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina junior Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) led all players with 17 points on six of 15 from the floor including two 3-pointers and three free throws. She had seven rebounds and two steals as well.
- Wentworth sophomore Molly Duclos (Greenfield, Mass.) led the Leopards with 14 points on seven of 12 from the floor.
- Salve Regina senior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) had a double-figure effort in the scoring column (12 points) along with nine rebounds, two assists, and two steals.
Key Stat of the Game
With a plus-19 advantage in rebounding (59-40), Salve Regina scored 25 second-chance points on 24 offensive caroms.
A jumper by senior Michelle McCloskey (Madison, Conn.) with under seven minutes remaining in the first half gave the Leopards their largest lead (26-15). Salve Regina got as close as six (30-24) with under a minute remaining after a 3-pointer from Mary Rorke (Norton, Mass.), but Sam McGibbon (Pembroke, Mass.) closed the opening period with an exclamation point from beyond the arc. Liv Pierce (Tyngsboro, Mass.) opened the second-half scoring with a pair of layups as Salve Regina went on a 33-11 run over 15 minutes; Scorpio and Beland both had 3-pointers during the run.
- Tara Burke (Londonderry, N.H.) led all players with 11 rebounds and finished with a double-double (10 points).
- Emily Magasic (West Milford, N.J.) topped all Leopards with eight boards.
- Erin Morton (Norway, Maine) finished with 11 points for Wentworth.
- The game featured six ties and six lead changes.
- The Leopards held the lead for over 23 minutes while the Seahawks were on top for just 14.
Salve Regina (5-8, 1-3 CCC) starts a three-game road trip at the University of New England on Tuesday, January 8 (5 p.m.). Wentworth (1-12, 0-5 CCC) returns home for the first time in 2019 when the Leopards host the Gulls of Endicott College on Tuesday (5:30 p.m.).