SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
U. of New England 55, Salve Regina 50
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Saturday, February 2, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Despite trailing for most of the second half visiting University of New England was able to overcome a fourth quarter deficit and top the Salve Regina University women's basketball team 55-50 in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Saturday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
The Nor'easters have won 16 straight over the Seahawks and own a 23-11 record in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
- UNE junior Jocelyn Chaput (Nashua, N.H.) was the game's second leading scorer with a team-high 13 points, notched a game-high four steals, and played all 40 minutes of the contest.
- Salve Regina senior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) scored a game-high 16 points on 5-14 shooting from the field.
- UNE sophomore Madalyn Sanborn (Lyndonville, Vt.) scored seven points in the fourth quarter to lead all scorers. Her and-one layup with 30 seconds left pushed the UNE lead to 51-48 giving some breathing room for the visitors.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks turned the ball over 25 times leading to 20 Nor'easter points.
After a Beland three pointer gave the Seahawks a 46-45 lead the Nor'easters immediately retook the lead on an Abby Cavallaro (South Portland, Maine) three with 4:12 remaining in the fourth. The Nor'easters would close the game on a 10-4 run, never relinquishing the lead.
- The Nor'easters had three players in double figures; Cavallaro (11), Chaput (13), and Sanborn (11).
- Salve Regina had two players in double figures; Beland (16) and Mary Rourke (11).
- Both teams shot similarly from the field. Salve Regina shot 34% from the field and 38.1% from three while the Nor'easters shot 31.5 from the field and 29.2 from deep.
- The Nor'easters went 14-26 at the free throw line while the Seahawks went 9-13 at the charity stripe.
- The Seahawks held a 48-32 rebounding edge and a 14-10 edge in offensive rebounds.
- UNE started the game 4-for-5 from downtown, but only hit three of their next nineteen.
Salve Regina (9-13, 5-8 CCC) continues its four-game homestand when it hosts Western New England on Tuesday, February 5 (5:30 p.m.). University of New England (11-11, 9-4 CCC) travels to play Endicott.