SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Western New England 53, Salve Regina 37
Rodgers Recreation Center - Newport, R.I.
Tuesday, February 5, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University senior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) scored a second-half layup for her fourth point of the game and 1,000th of her career. Unfortunately, the Seahawks trailed throughout a 53-37 loss to the visiting Golden Bears of Western New England University in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) women's basketball action at the Rodgers Recreation Center.
Three Golden Bears (16-7, 10-4 CCC) scored in double figures led by a game-high 14 from junior Meghan Orbann (East Hampton, Conn.). Salve Regina (9-14, 5-9 CCC) was led by junior Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) who finished with 13 points.
Series and Streaks
The Golden Bears lead the all-time series, 15-10, but the Seahawks had won two of the previous three meetings including the first meeting of this season (51-50 on Jan. 10, 2019) and last year's meeting on the Rodgers Recreation Center floor (65-62 on Jan. 27, 2018). Western New England has a season-long seven-game win streak.
Three Stars of the Game
- Western New England junior Meghan Orbann (East Hampton, Conn.) made five of 11 from the floor including both 3-point attempts, a pair of free throws, for a game-high 14 points. Shee added eight rebounds, two assists, and two steals.
- Salve Regina junior Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) made five of 14 field goals and three free throws to finish with 13 points. She had a game-high five assists along with team-best six rebounds.
- Western New England junior Courtney Carlson (Woodbury, Conn.) equalled Orbann's game-high rebound total (eight) and added 11 points.
Key Stat of the Game
Western New England owned a 46-31 advantage on the boards (14 offensive, 32 defensive) and had 11 second-chance points.
Scorpio closed the opening quarter with a driving layup to make the score 15-9 in favor of the Golden Bears. Beland scored her 1,000th point on the first Seahawk possession of the next period and Salve Regina trailed by just four. Classmate Lauryn Becker (Hanover, Mass.) made a layup for the only other Seahawk points in the quarter as Western New England outscored the home team, 17-4.
- Emily Farrell (New Fairfield, Conn.) scored 12 points on three of 12 from the floor and six of nine free throws.
- Salve Regina outscored Western New England, 15-11, in the third quarter.
- Western New England held the lead for 39:25 after scoring the game's first points.
- Mary Rorke (Norton, Mass.), Brooke Vonasek (Willington, Conn.), and Beland all hit from deep for the Seahawks.
- Golden Bears missed a dozen free throws (17-29).
Salve Regina (9-14, 5-9 CCC) makes its final road trip of the regular season on Saturday, February 9, to play Gordon College in Wenham, Mass. Western New England (16-7, 10-4 CCC) hosts Endicott College on Wednesday, February 13.