SEAHAWK WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Castleton 4, Salve Regina 2
Middletown, Rhode Island - St. George's
Friday, November 3, 2017
Series and Streaks
The Spartans now lead the all-time series 11-10-2 and are 4-1-1 in the last six meetings with the Seahawks.
Three Stars of the Game
- Castleton junior Aimee Briand (Barrington, N.H.) scored twice in the third period, breaking a 2-2 tie at 15:44 and again on an empty net at 19:17 to seal the win for the Spartans.
- Castleton freshman Casey Traill (South Shields, England) scored her first collegiate goal to give the Spartans a 2-0 lead in the first period.
- Salve Regina junior Jennifer O'Connell (Marstons Mills, Mass.) made 37 saves while allowing three goals in the loss to fall to 0-3-0.
With the game tied 2-2 in the late stages of the third period the Spartans had just killed off a Seahawks power-play when Aimee Briand skated from the left-wing side and worked her way free into the slot. She wristed a shot on net through a maze of players in front that found the top right corner under the bar for the go-ahead goal. Later with the goalie pulled Briand received the puck all alone at center ice and put in a long-distance shot to seal the game for Castleton.
- The Spartans jumped on top early, going 2-2 on the powerplay in the first period. Ali Stevens (Jefferson, Mass.) tipped in a shot at 12:08 to open the scoring, then Traill forced in a rebound on the man advantage not long after.
- The Seahawks got on the board with 38 seconds left in the first period when Alexandra Anderson (San Anselmo. Calif.) fired in a rebound shot from Madison McCann (Westerly, R.I.). The Seahawks carried the momentum from the goal into the second period and McCann scored 40 seconds in to knot the game 2-2.
- On the night the Spartans went 2-6 on the powerplay, while the Seahawks were 0-2 with the man advantage.
- The Spartans outshot the Seahawks 41-10.
- Junior netminder Rylie Wills (Sioux Lookout, Ont.) made eight saves to improve to 2-0-0 on the season for the Spartans.
Salve Regina (0-3-0, 0-1-0 NEHC) - hosts Norwich University on Saturday, November 4, at 7 p.m.
Castleton (2-1-1, 1-0-0 NEHC) - travels to face UMass Boston on Saturday, November 4, at 2 p.m.