SEAHAWK WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 6, Johnson & Wales 3
St. George's - Middletown, R.I.
Friday, December 1, 2017
The Salve Regina University women's ice hockey team scored four times in the third period to defeat visiting Johnson & Wales University in a non-conference matchup Friday night.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks own a 2-0 record in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina senior Meredith Peppes (Lincoln, R.I.) scored twice.
- Salve Regina sophomore Amanda Fantasia (Billerica, Mass.) scored twice in the third period.
- Salve Regina sophomore Maddy McCann (Westerly, R.I.) scored a short-handed goal in the third period that proved to be the game-winner.
Key Stat of the Game
After being held scoreless in their last three contests the Seahawks exploded for six goals in the game.
The Seahawks had held a two-goal lead after converting on a power-play to begin the third period. Drea Westgaard (Elk River, Minn.) scored on a breakaway for the Wildcats at 4:04 of the third cut the lead down to one goal. Then a hooking penalty gave the Wildcats their own powerplay with a chance to take the lead. Forty seconds in the advantage Maddy McCann picked the pocket of a Wildcat player in their own zone. She skated straight to the front of the net and flipped the puck in on the left side for a short-handed score to reestablish a two-goal lead for the Seahawks. The goal proved to be the game-winner even though the Seahawks tacked on two more scores for insurance.
- The short-handed goal was the first for the Seahawks this season and the first the Wildcats had allowed.
- Four different players scored for the Seahawks. Peppes and Fantasia each scored twice, while McCann added the shorthander, and Taylor Chisholm (Discovery Bay, Calif.) added her team-leading fourth of the season to start the Seahawks scoring in the first period.
- Three different players scored for Johnson & Wales. Linn Fernstrom (Karlstad, Sweden) opened the scoring with a tally at 6:11 of the first, then Westgaard's scored her team-leading sixth of the season in the third before Kathryn Mason (Grafton, Mass.) potted the Wildcats third and final goal of the night at 10:46 of the third.
- Mason's goal made it 4-3 in favor of the Seahawks with plenty of time remaining in the game. However Amanda Fantasia ripped home a long distance slapshot three minutes later to extend the lead, then scored on an empty net with 19 seconds left to shut the door on the Wildcats.
- Jennifer O'Connell earned her second win of the season for the Seahawks, stopping 20 shots. Meanwhile for the Wildcats Kami Weiner (Elk Grove Village, Ill.) made 17 saves in the loss and allowed five goals.
- The Wildcats went 1-for-3 on the powerplay while the Seahawks were 1-for-5 with the man advantage.
Salve Regina (2-9-0) hosts Endicott on Saturday, December 2 (7 p.m.) in another non-conference matchup.
Johnson & Wales (1-6-3) travels to face UMass Boston on Saturday, December 2 (1 p.m.) in a non-conference matchup.