SEAHAWK WOMEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 1, SUNY Canton 0
St. George's - Middletown, R.I.
Saturday, November 3, 2018
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. - Junior Lexie Anderson (San Francisco, Calif.) netted her first goal of the season to break a scoreless tie in the third period to help the Salve Regina University women's ice hockey team defeat SUNY Canton 1-0 in Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC) play Saturday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks take a 2-1 lead in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina junior Lexie Anderson cleaned up a rebound and was able to force a shot to the back of the net at 7:02 of the third period.
- SUNY Canton junior Brooke Susac (Bowmanville, Ontario) made 20 saves in the loss and was under heavy pressure all afternoon from the Seahawks.
- Salve Regina senior Jennifer O'Connell (Marstons Mills, Mass.) stopped 16 shots in between the pipes for the Seahawks for her second career shutout.
Key Stat of the Game
A night after being whistled for 10 penalties the Seahawks did not commit a penalty today.
Amanda Fantasia (Billerica, Mass.) flipped the puck from her defensive zone to center ice where it found Taylor Chisholm (Discovery Bay, Calif.). Chisholm skated free into the Kangaroos zone down the left wing side and fired a shot on the net. Susac made the initial save but could not corral the rebound, allowing Lexie Anderson to come crashing in and sneak the puck under the pads and to the back of the net to give the Seahawks a 1-0 lead.
- The Roos were able to pull the goalie for the final 1:17 of the third period, but could not find the equalizer.
- The Seahawks outshot the Kangaroos 21-16.
- Salve Regina blocked nine shots in the game while the Roos ate six pucks.
- Salve Regina went 0-for-1 on the lone powerplay of the afternoon.
Salve Regina (1-3-0, 1-1-0 CHC) travels for a weekend series with Morrisville State on Friday, November 9 at 4 p.m., in CHC action. SUNY Canton (1-2-1, 1-1-0 CHC) will host Nichols on the same day at 4 p.m.