SEAHAWK WOMEN'S LACROSSE RESULTS
Salve Regina 31, Bay Path 0
Middletown, Rhode Island - Gaudet Field
Saturday, March 9, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. - Thirteen different players scored for the Salve Regina University women's lacrosse team as it opened its season with a 31-0 victory over Bay Path University in a non-conference meetings Saturday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks take a 1-0 lead in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina junior Maddie Villareal (Portsmouth, R.I.) scored a game-high six goals and handed out four assists.
- Salve Regina freshman Kaity Doherty (Portsmouth, R.I.) scored five times on five shots and dished out two assists.
- Salve Regina sophomore Meghan Ryder (Wantagh, N.Y.) notched a game-high five assists and scored twice on two shots.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks outshot the Wildcats 40-4, with 38 of those shots on goal. Salve Regina also controlled the game by winning 28 of 33 draw controls.
Salve Regina scored 28 seconds into the game and led 5-0 after 90 seconds. The Seahawks controlled the game by scoring and winning draws to keep total control of the game. The Seahawks built a double-digit lead 4:41 into the game and never looked back.
- The Seahawks set numerous team records in the game. The team set new program single-game records for points (49), goals (31), assists (18), and draw control wins (28).
- Four players scored their first career goals for Salve Regina; senior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.), junior Ayu Sakamoto (Tokyo, Japan), and freshmen Nicole Smith (North Attleboro, Mass.) and Celia Palzkill (Chicago, Ill.).
- Caitlin Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) got her first career start in net and made seven saves in the loss for the Wildcats.
- Salve Regina utilized three different goalies in the game. Christina Myers (Rover Edge, N.J.) got the start before giving way to Zoe Fava (Mahwah, N.J.) who saw the bulk of the action and then was relieved by Bridget Newbury (Bridgewater, Mass.) who record the only two saves of the game for the Seahawks.
Salve Regina (1-0) hosts Rhode Island College on Tuesday, March 12, at 4 p.m., while Bay Path (0-1) travels to Emmanuel for a 7 p.m., matchup.