SEAHAWK WOMEN'S LACROSSE RESULTS
Salve Regina 22, Nichols 7
Middletown, Rhode Island - Gaudet Field
Saturday, April 6, 2019
MIDDLETOWN, R.I. - Powered by ten total points from Maddie Villareal (Portsmouth, R.I.) the Salve Regina University women's lacrosse team defeated Nichols College 22-7 on Senior Day in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Saturday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks own a 17-3 advantage in the all-time series and have won five in a row over the Bison.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina junior Maddie Villareal ties a single-game career-high with 10 points; seven goals and three assists.
- Salve Regina junior Kaity Doherty (Portsmouth, R.I.) scored six times and dished out an assist.
- Salve Regina freshman Nicole Smith (North Attleboro, Mass.) scored three goals and had a game-high eight draw control wins.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks held a 25-6 advantage in draw controls, 8-1 in the second half.
Salve Regina struck first in the game, but the teams alternated goals the first 12 minutes and were tied 3-3 after Lizz McKinnon (Quincy, Mass.) scored her second of the day with 18:07 left in the first half. The Seahawks then scored three straight before Miranda Smith (Methuen, Mass.) ended the Seahawks run to make it 6-4 with 14:20 remaining in the half. From there the Seahawks offense exploded for seven goals in seven minutes and a 10-1 run to lead by double digits at half-time. The Bison could never get closer than 11 goals the rest of the game and the Seahawks cruised to a 22-7 victory.
- Christina Myers (River Edge, N.J.) made eight saves in the win to improve to 5-3 between the pipes for Salve Regina.
- Emily Eagan (Hingham, Mass.) made 14 saves, and kept the Bison in the game early with a number of big stops, but was eventually relieved late in the game by Molly Steen (Stevensville, Md.).
- The Seahawks more than doubled up the Bison in shots, 44-20.
- Smith and McKinnon both scored twice on the day for the Bison while Kirsten Sullivan (Arlington, Mass.), the team's leader scorer, also netted to goals.
- The Seahawks had six players find the back of the net.
Salve Regina (5-3, 2-2 CCC) will play the fourth of four straight home games when it hosts Roger Williams on April 10 at 7 p.m. Nichols (2-9, 0-5 CCC) travels to play Endicott.