SEAHAWK WOMEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Coast Guard 1, Salve Regina 0
Newport, R.I. - Reynolds Field
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
A header from freshman Kat Retz (Overland Park, Kan.) in the first half marked the only scoring of the afternoon as visiting Coast Guard defeated the Salve Regina University women's soccer team 1-0 in non-conference action.
Series and Streaks
This was the 12th meeting between the two teams. The Bears now own an 8-3-1 record in the all-time series and snap a two-game streak by the Seahawks in the matchup.
Three Stars of the Game
- Coast Guard freshman Kat Retz scored the games only goal on a header, early in the first half. It was her second score of the season to lead the Bears.
- Coast Guard junior Rachel Boohar (Oxford, Pa) made 11 saves in net for the Bears.
- Salve Regina junior Carly Pala (Miford, Conn.) stopped seven of eight shots.
Key Stat of the Game
The Bears outshot the Seahawks 3-1 to start the game and drew a critical corner which led to the first and only score of the game.
At 14:04 of the first half the bears had a corner kick from the right side. Kylee Ballard (Egg Harbor Township, N.J.) let the kick fly high to the top of the box where it found Retz camping out. Then Retz, the tallest player on the field, leapt and perfectly redirected the ball with a header found the back of the net for the game's deciding goal at 14:15.
- It is Coast Guard's third straight victory and third straight shutout.
- The Bears have only allowed one goal so far this season, that goal coming in their only loss, a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Drew University on opening day.
- The Seahawks outshot the Bears 14-10 and 9-2 in the second half, but could not find the back of the net as they were stymied by the Bears keeper.
Salve Regina (0-4-1) - travels to play UMass Dartmouth on Thursday, September 14 (4 p.m.)
Coast Guard (3-1-0) - travels to play Springfield on Saturday, September 16 (2:30 p.m.)