SEAHAWK FOOTBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 31, Becker 8
Toppa Field - Newport, R.I.
Saturday, October 6, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University freshman running back Joey Mauriello (Colts Neck, N.J.) rushed for 124 yards and two touchdowns and caught a touchdown to lead the Seahawks past Becker College, 31-8 in Commonwealth Coast Football Conference action Saturday afternoon at Toppa Field.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 2-0, and has outscored the Hawks by a combined score of 86-8 in those two games.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina freshman Joey Mauriello (Colts Neck, N.J.) carried the ball 14 times for 124 yards and two touchdowns; he also caught one pass for 18 yards and a touchdown.
- Salve Regina sophomore Matt Sylvia (East Greenwhich, R.I.) picked off two passes. He leads the league in interceptions with seven on the season.
- Becker freshman Marc O'Neil (Dayton, Ohio) caught a game-high five passes for 126 yards and a touchdown
After the Hawks turned the all over on downs on their own 41 yard line it only took the Seahawks four plays to find the endzone. The Seahawks handed the ball off on four straight plays, capped y a 43-yard touchdown scamper by Mauriello to give the Seahawks a 24-8 lead.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks turned the Hawks over seven times, and consecutively on their last four possessions of the game. The Seahawks defense grabbed three total interceptions, and turned the Hawks over on downs four times.
- Jake McHugh (Lynnfield, Mass.) started at quarterback for the Hawks and completed 16 of 30 passes for 200 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions.
- David Collins (Staten Island, N.Y.) handled the lions share of the carries in the backfield, rushing 20 times for 62 yards.
- McHugh's lone touchdown came on Becker's second possession of the game. His 44-yard touchdown pass to Marc O'Neil capped an eight-play, 75-yard drive to give the Hawks an 8-0 lead.
- The Seahawks defense held the Hawks to 203 yards the rest of the game and did not allow another point.
- Salve Regina outgained the Hawks 367 to 278 on the day.
- Salve Regina junior Ronnie Martin (Foxboro, Mass.) rushed 12 times for 62 yards and a touchdown.
- Jake Kelleher (Hopkinton, Mass.) completed 5 of 10 passes for 112 yards, a touchdown, and an interception. He also rushed nine times for 26 yards.
- Andrew Verre was perfect on the day kicking for the Seahawks. He converted all four of his extra point attempts and connected on a 27-yard field goal. He also punted three times for 113 yards.
After completing a four-game homestand at Toppa Field, Salve Regina will enjoy a bye-week before traveling to face Curry College on October 20 at 1 p.m. The Hawks host Nichols College on October 13 at 12 p.m.