SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Roger Williams 68, Salve Regina 54
Rodgers Recreation Center - Newport, R.I.
Tuesday, December 4, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Senior Austin Coene (Tyngsboro, Mass.) scored 15 of his game-high 28 points in the second half shooting seven-of-eight as Roger Williams University men's basketball defeated Salve Regina University in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Rodgers Recreation Center on Tuesday evening.
Series and Streaks
As in-state rivals and charter members of the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC), these two schools are meeting for the 71st time in men's basketball (since 1984). Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 38-33, but the Hawks have won the last five meetings and seven of the last nine. Roger Williams has also won its first three league games of 2018-19, after starting the season 2-4 in non-league contests.
Three Stars of the Game
- Roger Williams senior Austin Coene (Tyngsboro, Mass.) made 13-of-19 shots with one 3-pointer and one free throw for a game-high 28 points. Coene made it a double-double with a game-high 10 rebounds.
- Salve Regina sophomore Jonathan Friberg (North Attleboro, Mass.) led the Seahawks with 13 points on five-of-eight from the floor and three free throws.
- Roger Williams sophomore JJ Pfohl (Trumbull, Conn.) chipped in 11 points, six assists, and four rebounds.
Key Stat of the Game
Roger Williams made five more field goals (28-23), two more 3-pointers (7-5), and two more free throws (5-3).
Salve Regina senior Kevin Mannix (Barrington, R.I.), and sophomores Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.) and Kevin Kelly (Valhalla, N.Y.) score the first three buckets in succession to start the second half, and cut the Seahawk deficit to five (34-29). After a Hawk timeout, JJ Pfohl hit a 3-pointer and Ian Carmichael (Atkinson, N.H.) and Coene followed with a layup and jumper, respectively.
- Kevin Kelly finished with 10 points for Salve Regina, eight in the second half.
- Kelly also had a team-high eight rebounds.
- Pfohl had a game-high six assists.
- Six different Hawks hit 3-pointers with two from Rich Pugliese (Middlebury, Conn.).
Salve Regina plays at Worcester State University on Saturday at 1 p.m.; Roger Williams hosts Connecticut College at 1 p.m.