SEAHAWK MEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 94, U. of New England 75
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Freshman forward Mikey Spencer (Abington, Mass.) scored a game-high 25 points to help the Salve Regina University men's basketball team to a 94-75 blowout victory over visiting University of New England in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action Saturday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
The all-time series is even 15-15. UNE had scored at least 100 points in the last two meetings with the Seahawks until today.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina freshman Mikey Spencer shot 10-19 from the field and 5-11 from deep for a game-high 25 points.
- Salve Regina freshman Mike Palmieri (Bristol, Conn.) shot 7-15 from the field and also connected on five three pointers to total 21 points.
- Salve Regina senior Kevin Mannix (Barrington, R.I.) had a game-high 11 rebounds.
Key Stat of the Game
The Seahawks held the Nor'easters 23 points below their scoring average (98.6 points per game).
The Nor'easters led 4-0 from the start, but a spencer three pointer followed by a Kevin Kelly (Valhalla, N.Y.) layup gave the Seahawks their first lead. It would be the only lead change in the game. The Seahawks led only by six points at the break, 43-37, but Spencer and Palmieri combined to score the first 11 points of the second half for the Seahawks. Spencer then assisted on an and-one layup for Cameron Collins (Oakdale, Conn.) who converted the three point play to give the Seahawks a 59-43 advantage. The Seahawks continued to pour in on at one point ballooning the lead to 29 points.
- Salve Regina had four players in double figures while the Nor'easters had two.
- Avery DeBrito (New Bedford Mass.) paced the Nor'easters in scoring shooting an efficient 6-of-7 from the field for 15 points.
- The Seahawks shot 57.8% from the field and 40.7% from three-point range, connecting on 11 treys.
- The Nor'easters shot 35.1% from the field and connected on eight threes, shooting 22% from deep.
- The Seahawks' 95 points is a new season-high while the Nor'easters' 75 points is their second lowest scoring output of the season.
- Salve Regina held a 51-38 rebounding edge.
Salve Regina (8-14, 4-9 CCC) continues its four-game homestand when it hosts Western New England on Tuesday, February 5 (7:30 p.m.). University of New England (6-16, 4-9 CCC) travels to face Endicott at 7:30 p.m.