SEAHAWK MEN'S ICE HOCKEY RESULTS
Salve Regina 3, Morrisville St. 0
Portsmouth Abbey - Portsmouth, R.I.
Friday, January 11, 2019
PORTSMOUTH, R.I. - After 43 days since their last home game the Salve Regina University men's ice hockey team defeated visiting Morrisville State 3-0 in non-conference action Friday night.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks have evened the all-time series 1-1.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina senior Kyle Moore (Cumming, Ga.) scored his fourth goal of the season to break a scoreless tie early in the second period. It proved to be the game-winning goal.
- Morrisville junior Jared Young (Pueblo West, Colo.) made season-high 49 saves in the loss, three shy of his career record (52 vs. Utica on December 9, 2016), to fall to 1-3-0 in net this season.
- Salve Regina sophomore Paul Boutoussov (Dana Point, Calif.) scored his team leaded 10th goal of the season 7:33 into the third period to give the Seahawks a 3-0 advantage.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina outshot the Mustangs 52-14.
Despite outshooting the Mustangs the Seahawks only held a 1-0 lead in the third period thanks to the spectacular goaltending of Jared Young. After killing off a Seahawks powerplay the Mustangs got a man advantage of their own but quickly squandered it, taking a hooking call five seconds into the powerplay. To make matters worse the Mustangs were called for a trip 15 seconds later to give the Seahawks a 4-on-3 powerplay. Half a minute later John McClean (North Andover, Mass.) lit the lamp to give the Seahawks a 2-0 edge and steal back momentum for Salve Regina.
- Senior netminder Blake Wojtala made 14 saves to collect his first shutout of the season, the tenth of this career, adding to his program record. He improves to 8-4-2 between the pipes for the Seahawks.
- The Seahawks went 1-for-5 on the powerplay while holding the Mustangs to 0-for-5 with the man advantage.
Salve Regina (9-4-2, 6-1-1 CCC) resumes Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) play on Friday, January 18 when the face Wentworth at 7 p.m. Morrisville (3-10-1) hosts the University of New England on Saturday, January 12, at 5 p.m.