|NOVEMBER 5 | 5 p.m.
TOPPA FIELD • NEWPORT, R.I.
(12-5-2, 4-3-1 CCC)
|INTERACTIVE BRACKET | PRINTABLE BRACKET|
Stay up-to-date with all the latest news and notes on Salve Regina athletics by connecting with the Seahawks on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Be sure to use the hashtag #goSeahawks for an insider's look at Salve Regina's teams and student-athletes.
LAST TIME OUT
Four goals in the second half spurred the Salve Regina University men's soccer team to a 4-0 shutout victory over visiting Wentworth Institute of Technology in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action, securing the league's top spot in the postseason.
MORE READING: Seahawks shutout Leopards; secure top spot in postseason
SEAHAWKS NOTES FROM THE NEST
- In the last two seasons, Salve Regina men's soccer has produced a CCC regular-season record of 12-0-4; no loss to a conference foe in the regular season since Oct. 24, 2017.
- Salve Regina clinched its second straight regular-season title; shared the 2018 regular-season crown with Endicott College.
- Evan MacDonald (9g, 12a, 30p) and Alessandro Oggiano (10g, 3a, 23 p) are the top two scorers for the Seahawks, and rank second and third in the league.
- Seth Wolins tops all CCC goalkeepers in goals against average (0.60) and fewest goals against (just seven), while ranking third in save percentage (.821).
- Previous Seahawk championships - 1998, 2002, 2012.
- The Bison have won the men's soccer title twice - 2010, 2014. Nichols advanced past Salve Regina on PKs (3-1) after a scoreless semifinal in 2010.
- They have fallen in the title match three times - 2008, 2011, 2012.
- This is the fifth postseason meeting between Nichols and Salve Regina; Seahawks own a 3-0-1 mark in the previous four.
- Jacob Sargent (11g, 0a, 22p) leads the Bison in scoring and ranks fourth in the league.
- Jean Carlos de la Cruz has more saves (112) than any other CCC goalkeeper, and ranks fourth in save percentage (.800).
INSIDE THE SERIES
Salve Regina University and Nichols College meet for the 33rd time in men's soccer since 1989. The Seahawks have a 22-8-2 advantage in the all-time series and have won seven of the last nine meetings. Prior to 2018, the Bison had won the previous two meetings in Newport (2014, 2016) by 2-1 scores; Salve Regina had last defeated Nichols in Newport in the CCC Championship Game six years ago (2-0 on Nov. 3, 2012).
Winner advances to the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) championship on Saturday, November 9.