SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 50, Wentworth 47
Newport, R.I. - Rodgers Recreation Center
Saturday, January 16, 2016
NEWPORT, R.I. - Senior Meaghan Harden (Sandwich, Mass.) led all players with 19 points to lift Salve Regina University women's basketball to a 50-47 victory over visiting Wentworth Institute of Technology in Commmonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) action at the Rodgers Recreation Center.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina entered today's game with an .860 winning percentage against Wentworth in the all-time series (43-7). The schools split the series last season.
Three Stars of the Game
1 – Salve Regina senior Meaghan Harden (Sandwich, Mass.) - jumped into the league lead for scoring (16.7 ppg) with her game-high 19-point effort.
2 – Wentworth senior Carly Rogers (Scarborough, Maine) - scored 15 points and grabbed a team-high nine rebounds with four blocked shots.
3 – Salve Regina sophomore Allyson Esielionis (Shirley, Mass.) - posted her first double-double of the season (11 points, 10 rebounds) and added four blocked shots.
Key Stat of the Game
Wentworth outscored Salve Regina, 22 to six, from the free throw line.
Salve Regina never trailed, and the game was tied once (3-3) in the first quarter, but a 13-5 run by the Seahawks over the final seven minutes of the third quarter stretched a five-point lead to 13 before the final period. Freshman Tara Burke (Londonderry, N.H.) had a pair of layups in the run.
- Wentworth outscored Salve Regina, 16-6, in the final quarter.
- Salve Regina's last field goal came with 4:15 left in fourth, a jumper from senior Madelyn Brackett (Coopersville, Mich.).
- The teams combined for a dozen blocked shots, led by four apiece from Esielionis and Rogers.
- Salve Regina won the battle of the boards, 40-32, led by 10 apiece from Esielionis and Jillian Woodward (Orono, Maine).
- In its last three victories, Salve Regina has held opponent under 50 points.
Salve Regina (5-10; 4-4 CCC) – Tuesday, January 19 at Nichols, 5:30 p.m.
Wentworth (4-10; 1-7 CCC) – Tuesday, January 19 vs. Gordon, 5:30 p.m.