SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 73, Fisher 63
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Tuesday, December 12, 2017
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University women's basketball produced 25 second-chance points with 21 offensive rebounds, and came back on several occasions for a 73-63 victory over visiting Fisher College in non-league action at the Rodgers Recreation Center on Tuesday night. Junior Liv Pierce (Tyngsboro, Mass.) and sophomore Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) paced the Seahawks with 17 points apiece. Freshman Choon-Hee Chae (Kyle, Texas) and senior Madison Carroll (Methuen, Mass.) were game-high scorers for the Falcons, both with 22 points.
Series and Streaks
Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 2-0, after winning last year in Boston by 40 points (88-48) and tonight by 10 points (73-63). The Seahawks have won all four home games in 2017-18 and now have a seven-game win streak at the Rodgers Recreation Center. They'll close out 2017 with one more contest at home, hosting Rensselaer on Saturday, December 30 (1 p.m.).
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina sophomore Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) made six of 11 from the floor including three 3-pointers (all in second half) while finishing with 17 points. Scorpio also had two rebounds, two assists, and two steals.
- Fisher freshman Choon-Hee Chae (Kyle, Texas) made seven of 11 from the floor, and was perfect from the free-throw line (7-for-7) to finish with 22 points, six rebounds.
- Salve Regina junior Liv Pierce (Tyngsboro, Mass.) went seven for eight from the charity stripe and made five field goals for 17 points. She also had four rebounds and one steal.
Key Stat of the Game
Salve Regina survived on second-chance points (25) with a 40-25 edge in rebounding, including 21-4 on the offensive glass.
Fisher scored the first six points of the game and led the entire first quarter until junior Mikayla Roderick (Fall River, Mass.) hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to put Salve Regina up one, 19-18. Trailing by four in the second half (44-40 at 6:46 in third quarter), the Seahawks had an 11-2 run with 3-pointers from Scorpio, Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.), and Mary Rorke (Norton, Mass.). Lauryn Becker (Hanover, Mass.) had a jumper as well.
- Salve Regina had a season-high eight 3-pointers; previous high of five on three occasions.
- Fisher finished 20-of-24 from the free-throw line (83.3%).
- Murphy Carroll (Methuen, Mass.) joined her sister and Choon-Hee Chae in double-digit scoring with 12 points.
- Kerri Beland also scored in double figures with 10 points for the Seahawks.
- Beland and Ally Esielionis (Shirley, Mass.) both had five offensive boards while the latter led all players with eight rebounds.
- The Seahawks have averaged 17 assists per game in their last three contests, all wins.
- Mary Eden (South Kingstown, R.I.), Mary Rorke, and Ally Esielionis each had three assists.
- Meghan Case (Sacramento, Calif.) led all players with three steals.
Salve Regina (5-3) hosts Rensselaer on Saturday, December 30 (1 p.m.) in a non-league contest; Fisher (7-6) returns to action on Sunday, January 7, when it travels to Vermont to face St. Joseph.