SEAHAWK WOMEN'S BASKETBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 53, Gordon 51
Rodgers Rec. Ctr. - Newport, R.I.
Wednesday, January 16, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - Salve Regina University women's basketball defeated Gordon College, 53-51, behind a trio of double-figure scorers - seniors Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) and Tara Burke (Londonderry, N.H.) with 16 and 11 points apiece, and sophomore Mary Rorke (Norton, Mass.) chipping in 10 points. The Seahawks improve to 8-9 overall and 4-4 in the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC). The Scots (5-12, 2-6 CCC) were led by game-high scorer Meghan Foley (Malden, Mass.) with 19 points and her classmate Sarah Gibbs (Elizabethtown, Pa.) added 10 points.
The Commonwealth Coast Conference teamed up with Hope Happens Here to sponsor a league-wide awareness night to combat the stigma that surrounds mental health.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks lead the all-time series, 30-14, and have won 22 of the last 23 meetings. Salve Regina has a season-high three-game win streak, and has won four of its last five.
Three Stars of the Game
- Gordon junior Meghan Foley (Malden, Mass.) scored 13 of her game-high 19 points in the first half including three of five 3-pointers.
- Salve Regina senior Kerri Beland (Attleboro, Mass.) reached double figures for the sixth time in her last seven games, leading the Seahawks with 16 points.
- Salve Regina senior Tara Burke (Londonderry, N.H.) posted a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
Key Stat of the Game
No quarter ended with more than a three-point margin. Meanwhile, Gordon led by as many as five in the first period, and Salve Regina enjoyed its largest lead of 10 points (47-37) after opening the fourth quarter with a 9-0 run. Seahawks forced 16 turnovers and turned those into 12 points.
After trailing by three at the start of the second quarter, Salve Regina led by one at the half and the same margin entering the fourth quarter. The Seahawks opened a 10-point lead (47-37) with a 9-0 run in the first three minutes of the final period. Tara Burke got a quick layup on the Seahawks' first possession, then Kerri Beland sandwiched two baskets around a 3-pointer from Mary Rorke.
- Tonight's game featured Mental Health Awareness, sponsored by Hope Happens Here.
- A pair of free throws from Torie Scorpio (Cranston, R.I.) iced the game with fractions of a second left (0.6).
- Abby Vampatella (Mansfield Center, Conn.) drained a 3-pointer on the ensuing in-bounds pass from just in front of the Scots' bench for the final margin.
- Salve Regina has outrebounded its opponent in three straight games and four of its last five.
- In back-to-back games earlier this season, Salve Regina dominated the boards (+11) and lost by one (at Nichols on Nov. 28) and then won by 11 while losing the rebounding battle by a dozen (against Bridgewater State on Dec. 1).
- Sarah Gibbs also finished with a double-double with her 10 points and game-high 15 rebounds.
Salve Regina (8-9, 4-4 CCC) travels to Boston, Mass., to face the Leopards of Wentworth Institute of Technology on Saturday (1 p.m.). Gordon (5-12, 2-6 CCC) will be in Springfield, Mass., to play against the Golden Bears of Western New England University (3 p.m.).