NEWPORT, R.I. (January 11, 2020) -- Salve Regina University junior guard Mary Rorke (Norton, Mass.) led all players with 16 points, but visiting Curry College left the Rodgers Recreation Center with a 52-45 victory in Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) women's basketball action.
The Colonels (4-10, 2-3 CCC) started four freshmen including first-year twins Katie and Kirsten Smith (East Bridgewater, Mass.). The latter finished with a dozen points and team-high nine rebounds while fellow first-year guard Kathryn Dunn led Curry with 14 points on five-of-10 from the field and three of five from the line.
Curry made only three first-quarter field goals, all 3-pointers, while Rorke, Bostic, and Brooke Vonasek (Willington, Conn.) hit from the floor for Salve Regina which held a one-point lead (11-10) after the first 10 minutes. Freshman Gabby Sousa (Hudson, N.H.) swished a corner 3-pointer for the first buck on the second quarter to give Salve Regina its largest lead. Kirsten Smith scored eight points in the second quarter as the Colonels took a lead they would never relinquish.
- Curry has won last three meetings in series, including its two most recent trips to Newport.
- The Colonels have matched their second-longest win streak in the all-time series (three in 1992-93; four in 1990-91).
- Salve Regina leads the all-time series, 49-22.
- Scorpio finished with 11 points including five free throws.
- Katie Smith had five steals for the Colonels while Bostic made four thefts for Salve Regina.