SEAHAWK WOMEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Bridgewater St. 5, Salve Regina 2
Toppa Field - Newport, R.I.
Wednesday, September 19, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Five different players scored for the visiting Bridgewater State University women's soccer team in a 5-2 victory over Salve Regina University in non-conference action Wednesday evening.
Series and Streaks
The Bears have a 19-4-1 record versus the Seahawks all-time.
Three Stars of the Game
- Bridgewater junior Kellie Souza (Wilmington, Mass.) made nine saves to improve to 3-2-1 in net for the Bears.
- Bridgewater senior Nicole Simas (Dartmouth, Mass.) assisted on the first goal of the game and scored a goal of her own before halftime.
- Salve Regina senior Abby McMackin (Walpole, Mass.) scored her team-leading fifth goal of the season and assisted on another.
Nicole Simas' goal in the 41st minute proved to be the difference. Off a throw-in Simas headed the ball high into the air and it dropped out of the sky over the hands of Carly Pala (Milford, Conn.) and into the back of the net giving the Bears back a two-goal lead and momentum heading to halftime.
- Tess Nagle (Pembroke, Mass.) scored in the 24th minute to make it 2-0 in favor of the Bears, but Jamie Robert (Holyoke, Mass.) answered 22 seconds later to get the goal right back for the Seahawks.
- The Seahawks had many chances to score, outshooting the Bears 22-18, but could not get the ball to bounce their way. Notably a Delaney Maxell (Lincoln, R.I.) had a shot that hit the post and went across the goal before being cleared, and a penalty stroke for Emily Smith (New London, Conn.) that was saved by the keeper before a rebound shot went wide.
- Carly Pala made seven saves in the loss to fall to 3-2 between the pipes for the Seahawks.
- Salve Regina held a 7-2 edge in corner kicks.
- The Bears scored two goals in 36 seconds late in the second half to end any suspense. Taylor Loyd (Halifax, Mass.) scored on a feed from Allison Aldred (Saugus, Mass.) before Aldred scored a goal of her own to round out the balanced scoring attack from the Bears who have had 11 different goal scorers this season.
Salve Regina travels to face Endicott on Saturday, September 22 (4:30 p.m.) in a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) matchup; Bridgewater State hosts Framingham State that same day at 11 a.m.