SEAHAWK WOMEN'S SOCCER RESULTS
Salve Regina 2, Keene St. 0
Gaudet Field - Middletown, R.I.
Thursday, October 4, 2018
NEWPORT, R.I. - Two goals from senior Abby McMackin (Walpole, Mass.) in the second half helped lift the Salve Regina University women's soccer team to its first-ever victory over Keene State College in non-conference action Thursday night.
Series and Streaks
The Owls still own a 3-1 record in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Game
- Salve Regina senior Abby McMackin scored her ninth and tenth goals of the season. Her first broke a scoreless tie in the 70th minute and the second offered the Seahawks some insurance in the 75th.
- Salve Regina senior Carly Pala (Milford, Conn.) made nine saves to earn her first shutout of the season and improve to 5-4 in net.
- Salve Regina junior Kayla McLaughlin (East Hampton, Conn.) helped anchor the Seahawks backfield and had an assist on McMackin's second goal.
With the game scoreless the Seahawks were able to find McMackin open down the right side of the field. She carried forward then let a shot fly from 20 yards away that went over the head of the Owls keeper and was perfectly placed into the back of the net.
- Five minutes later McMackin was able to chip in another goal over the head of the keeper for her 10th of the season and give the Seahawks a comfortable 2-0 lead.
- It is Salve Regina's first victory over Keene State.
- Owls keeper Shelby Offord (Shelton, Conn.) made two saves on the night to fall to 2-4-1 between the pipes.
Salve Regina (5-4-0) travels to face the University of New England on Saturday, October 6 (3:30 p.m.) in a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) matchup; Keene St. (2-6-1) faces Plymouth State on the road on Saturday at 1 p.m.