SEAHAWK WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 3, Smith 1
Newport, R.I. - Rodgers Recreation Center
Saturday, September 7, 2019
The Salve Regina University women's volleyball team defeated visiting Smith College 3-1 (25-19, 24-26, 25-19, 25-17) in non-conference action Saturday afternoon.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks own a 2-1 advantage in the all-time series.
Three Stars of the Match
- Salve Regina sophomore Madison Lee (Dover, Fla.) posted a double-double with 11 kills and 20 digs while adding three aces and an assisted block.
- Salve Regina sophomore Nichole Karabaich (Greenlawn, N.Y.) had a match-high 15 kills with a .324 swing percentage. She also chipped in nine digs and two aces.
- Smith freshman Gabby Beckman (Aurora, Colo.) had a team-high 11 kills and 20 digs.
After splitting the first two sets and trailing 13-12 in the third set the Seahawks went on a 13-6 run to close out the third and take a 2-1 lead. The Seahawks again fell behind to start the fourth set, but quickly came back to knot things up at 7-7. A pair of Pioneer errors gave the Seahawks the lead and they never let it go. Smith got within hailing distance, 22-17, but a kill from Annie Donahue (Chelmsford, Mass.) followed by two more Pioneer errors sealed the match for the Seahawks.
- The Seahawks trailed in every set.
- Evi Evgeniou (Thessaloniki, Greece) had a match-high 31 assists for the Pioneers while Katelyn O'Brien (Bridgeport, Pa.) paced the Seahawks with 30 helpers.
- Evgeniou and Ava Zollinger (Orlando, Fla.) shared a match-high three solo blocks for Smith.
- Donahue and Meaghan Corkery (Saunderstown, R.I.) each had two solo blocks for the Seahawks.
Salve Regina (1-4) plays the first of five straight road matches when the travel to face Connecticut College on Tuesday, September 10 (7 p.m.). Smith (0-5) travels to face Rhode Island College on that same date and time.