SEAHAWK WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL RESULTS
Salve Regina 3, U. of New England 0
Newport, R.I. - Rodgers Recreation Center
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
NEWPORT, R.I. - The Salve Regina University women's volleyball team swept University of New England 3-0 (25-14, 25-16, 25-21) in the quarterfinals of the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) Tournament.
Series and Streaks
The Seahawks are 13-7 all-time versus the Nor'easters and have won 12 in a row in the series.
Three Stars of the Match
- Salve Regina sophomore Nicole Karabaich (Greenlawn, N.Y.) did a little of everything, striking for a match-high five service aces, match-high 18 digs, three kills, an assist, and a block.
- Salve Regina junior Andee Bender (Lebanon, Conn.) posted a double-double with a match-high 12 kills and 13 digs.
- Salve Regina senior Annie Donahue (Chelmsford, Mass.) had nine kills, swinging at a .750 clip and added two solo blocks.
The Seahawks capitalized on Nor'easters error all night. In the second set the score was tied 12-12, before a 6-0 Seahawks run helped the home team pull away. All six points were errors by UNE, including three straight receiving errors resulting in aces for Karabiach. In the third, with the Seahawks leading 2-0 in the match, the Nor'easters battled to tie the score 19-19, but the Seahawks closed the match on a 6-0 run, aided by two Nor'easter errors, and closed out by a block from senior captain Annie Donahue to send her team to the CCC semifinals.
The Nor'easters committed 30 errors in the match; 21 attacking errors, seven service errors, and two blocking errors.
- Salve Regina had five players with double-digit digs in the match; Karabiach (18), Bender (13), Meredith Arancio (12), Morgan Lee (12), and Katie Linekin (11).
- Olivia Noonan (Rochester, N.H.) paced the Seahawks attack with 17 assists, while Meredith Arancio (Oradell, N.J.) chipped in 11 helpers.
- UNE was led offensively by senior Katie Flynn (Merrimack, N.H.) with eight kills.
- Sydney Christiansen (Palatine, Ill.) had a match-high 18 assists for the visitors.
- Paige Simoneau (Hudson, N.H.) and Katie Marsh (Melbourne, Australia) each had a team-high 16 digs for UNE.
- Salve Regina advances to the CCC semis for the fourth straight season.
"The team played solid tonight. I was very happy with the contribution from both the players on the bench and on the court. We played as one unit and never gave up or stopped fighting no matter what the situation was." - head coach Laruen Parsons.
Salve Regina (14-14) will travel to face top seeded Endicott in the semifinals on Thursday, November 7. University of New England's season ends with a final mark of 15-7.